Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Positively Perfect Plurals!


Mrs. Ranney's class has been working 
recently on learning to spell 
plural nouns correctly!

There are so many rules about plurals to follow!

Did you know that plural nouns never use apostrophes?
Did you know that not all plurals have an s added to them? 

 Frogger has some plural spelling rules to share with you:

1. When a singular noun ends with x, ch, sh, or s, add es
Examples: box - boxes              bush - bushes
 
2. When a singular noun ends in a consonant and y, change the y to an i and add es.  
                 Examples: penny - pennies         fly - flies
 
3. To some nouns ending in f, simply add s.
                 Examples: chief - chiefs             bluff - bluffs
 
4. To other nouns ending in f or fe, change the f or fe to v and add  
     es
                 Examples: wolf - wolves            leaf - leaves
 
5. Some singular nouns form their plurals in special ways. There is no rule for these, so you just have to memorize them!
                 Examples: tooth - teeth               mouse - mice


***************
 
Frogger challenges you to use five different plurals in a comment!
Here is Frogger's example:
Dear Class,
Yesterday three flies landed on my lilypad. I tried so hard to eat them, but they got away!  I wonder how many of you children would want to eat flies instead of candies on Halloween? 

After missing the flies, I hopped off my lilypad into the water where I saw some geese paddling by. They were carrying some leaves back to their nests. I swam along, so I could say hello to their babies!

I'm looking forward to reading your comments full of positively perfect plurals!

Ribbit and regards,
Frogger

P. S. Be sure to use html code to make your plurals bold!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mrs. Ranney and Class,

    Today I learned about the plural nouns. Here are some sentences with the plural nouns that I learned at school.

    On Saturday, I saw three ponies resting in the stable. One pony was eating carrots and the other ponies were trying to get flies off their heads.

    Later I went to the Pumpkin Festival. There were lots of children and pumpkins. I painted a little pumpkin at the Pumpkin Festival. Also there was a pie eating contest and 5 men and one woman competed. She won in third place. At the Pumpkin Festival I got a lot of candies from the booths. I had a great time.

    Have you ever been to the Pumpkin Festival?

    Sincerely,

    Your friend,
    M★chelle

    ReplyDelete

Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.
Steps to comment:
1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!
2. Sign your post using your first name only.
3. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)
4. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:) Mrs. Ranney