Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sizzling Summer Solstice, 2014!

This year in the Northern Hemisphere, summer begins on June 21, 2014.


This first day of summer is called 
Summer Solstice.

Sol + stice comes from a combination of Latin words meaning "sun" + "to stand still." As the days lengthen, the sun rises higher and higher until it seems to stand still in the sky.

As a major celestial event, the Summer Solstice results in 
the longest day and the shortest night of the year. The Northern Hemisphere celebrates in June, but the people on the Southern half of the earth have their 
longest summer day in December!



 *********


What are your favorite activities during summer?

Do you have any special summer plans?

Leave a comment, and let's stay in touch!

You may also send in a picture about what you're enjoying this summer to be posted on Ranney's Record!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs.Ranney,

    My favorite summer activities are having sleepovers and playdates.
    So far this summer we went to the movies, and saw our grandparents. One fun activity we did was play in the sand and surf at Malibu beach. We even found a real message in a bottle! Actually my sister Teddi found it. It had washed up upon the sandy shore. We decided to open it even though my older sister Grace was nervous and didn't think we should. Anyway, it was a beautiful note written by a girl to her (sadly) dead mother. It was very heartfelt. It was written the day before! Grace insisted we put the note back in, seal it up tightly and throw it into the sea where the author intended for it to be. I am very happy we made sent it back into the crashing waves! It was a very emotional moment.

    I miss you,

    Blythe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Blythe,

      It sounds like you've had an active and fun summer so far!

      Your special moment with the message in a bottle very sweet and touching, and I applaud your decision to send the bottle back to the sea. You might consider writing a story about the message and its author. It would be a beautiful one.

      I miss everyone in our class too!
      Keep in touch!

      Mrs. Ranney

      Delete
  2. Dear Mrs Ranney and Class,

    So far I have had a great summer! My favorite thing this summer was cheer camp. Cheer camp was fun, but I broke my arm while doing a back walkover.

    One of the things that I liked about cheer camp was that we performed a show at the end of the week and the Laker Girls came and signed autographs. They seemed really nice and we even given outfits and pompoms. Our performance was exciting and nerve-racking, but in the end I was very proud of myself. After I did my cheer and tumbling routine, the group did a finale stunt. Unfortunately, since I had broken my arm, I was only able to do a middle split.

    Even still, cheer camp was a great experience!

    ReplyDelete

Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.
Steps to comment:
1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!
2. Sign your post using your first name only.
3. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)
4. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:) Mrs. Ranney